Scholarly Research Requirements:
The News Report asked you to think like a journalist or a consumer of the news. Now, the Research Component asks you to think like a Women’s Studies’ scholar: How does the information reported in the news article connect to scholarly research in the field? What do scholars already know that can deepen our understanding of the information reported in the article?
This assignment will also provide an orientation to the interdisciplinary scholarly resources available for Women’s Studies’ students and scholars.
Your Second (2), using any of the databases or eresources available in the Research Guide, research some aspect of your news article. You should be looking for scholarly resources. If the first database or set of resources returns few options or only news articles and not scholarly articles, choose another database. You could focus on the main topic of the article (such as the gender wage gap, or women in the military), on a specific person discussed in the article (such as an activist, or a politician), or on a location discussed in the article (such as women in the Midwest, or women in Nigeria), or on a related idea (such as the history of cosmetics, or female-centered religions). Remember to maintain a focus on a topic of interest to Women’s Studies.
Third (3), choose two of the scholarly resources you discover, and write an annotated bibliography of 500-800 words as described here. Chosen resources should be no more than 10 years old bibliography should include
- An introduction: Explain which topic you chose to explore and why, and how you used the Research Guide to find scholarly work on that topic. Remember to explicitly state the connection to the news article you chose for the News Report.
- Two annotated bibliographic references. Each of these should include:
- The full citation, properly cited in APA Style. Note that different types of publications (journal articles, encyclopedia entries, ebooks) will require different citation styles.
- A 1-paragraph summary of the findings of the research. You should actually read both resources you present. This summary should be in your own words. Do not copy from the summary or abstract that appears in the online library reference listing.
- A 1-2 paragraph evaluation of the resource. How does the news article confirm, complicate, illustrate, or otherwise relate to the news article? How does it deepen your understanding of the same subject as covered in the news article?