Exam #2 Version A Key
Department of Economics Professor Siegler
UC Davis Winter 2013
The first five questions on Version A are the last five questions on Version B.
Part I: Multiple-Choice Questions (4 points each, 60 points in total)
1. According to the article by Dehejia and Lleras-Muny on branch banking laws and state deposit insurance from 1900 to 1940, the authors find that financial expansions induced by state deposit insurance:
A. led to growth in manufacturing and accelerated agricultural growth.
B. led to growth in manufacturing, but had negative consequences for agriculture.
C. had negative consequences in manufacturing, but accelerated agricultural growth.
D. had negative consequences for both manufacturing and agriculture.
2. Bad credit risks may be the most willing to pay high interest rates and thus get loans. This describes an example of:
A. symmetric information.
B. adverse selection.
C. moral hazard.
D. the winner’s curse.
3. According to the theory of loanable funds, an increase in government spending, ceteris paribus, will lead to:
A. higher real interest rates and investment spending.
B. higher real interest rates and lower investment spending.
C. lower real interest rates and investment spending.
D. lower real interest rates and higher investment spending.
4. Suppose that over the past fifty years, the birth rate is 2 percent per year, the death rate is 1 percent per year, the immigration rate is 1 percent per year, and the emigration rate 2 percent per year. The population growth rate in this economy is _______ percent per year.
5. In international test score comparisons, like the OECD Program of International Student Assessment, U.S. fifteen year-olds score relatively the worst in which subject?
D. Social Studies
6. During the “Rise of the American High School” from 1910 to 1940, all of the following were widespread except:
A. curricular changes that emphasized vocational education.
B. higher graduation rates for girls.
C. the use of standardized tests.
D. local funding and control.
7. The Baumol effect was most important during:
A. the period from 1850 to 1870.
B. the period from 1870 to 1900.
C. the period from 1900 to 1937.
D. the period after 1950.
8. In Country A, the Gini coefficient is 0.45 while it is 0.48 in Country B. Based on this, we can conclude that:
A. there is more inequality in Country A.
B. there is more inequality in Country B.
C. there is higher growth in Country A.
D. there is higher growth in Country B.
9. Suppose that the demand curve in a particular market is described by the following equation:
= 20 −
Where is the quantity demanded for the good or service and P is the price. If the price is currently $12, then the price elasticity of demand is ____________ and a reduction in price from $12 to $11 will _______________ total revenue.
A. 0.66; increase
B. 0.66; decrease
C. 1.5; decrease
D. 1.5; increase
10. The table below measures the distribution of wealth in the United States in 2010:
Share of Net
Bottom 20 percent 0.00 0.20 0.00
Second 20 percent 0.02 0.40 0.02
Third 20 percent 0.03 0.60 0.05
Fourth 20 percent 0.06 0.80 0.11
Top 20 percent 0.89 1.00 1.00
Note that these shares are not cumulative, but simply represent the share of wealth held
by each group. For example, the top 20 percent of the population has 89 percent of the
wealth. Using the Z-gradient approximation, the Gini coefficient for wealth in the United
States in 2010 is approximately:
11. The social savings approach to measure the importance of transportation developments
A. likely overestimates the true importance of transportation developments due to double counting.
B. likely underestimates the true importance of transportation developments because it only estimates the direct transportation savings and ignores
spillovers to other sectors of the economy.
C. has been found to be an accurate and unbiased measure of the importance of transportation developments,
D. likely overestimates the true importance of transportation developments due to measurement errors.
12. In 1870, half of all workers in the United States were employed in agriculture. Today, it is less than two percent. One piece of evidence contrary to the induced innovation hypothesis is:
A. the fact that the income elasticity of food is low.
B. the fact that the income elasticity of food is high.
C. the fact that the price of land relative to wages was falling in the decades after 1870.
D. the fact that the price of land relative to wages was rising in the decades after 1870.
13. Compared to other countries in the world, the United States was most exceptional in terms of economic mobility:
A. during the Great Compression from 1929 to 1953.
B. during the 1950s and 1960s period of high economic growth.
C. during the period from 1850 to 1920.
D. during the period 1973 to 2007 when inequality increased but so did economic opportunity.
14. Which of the following explanations for the fertility transition in the United States is likely the most important?
A. the decline in death rates.
B. the introduction of contraceptive technologies like the condom.
C. the increasing opportunity costs of having children.
D. the decrease in the direct costs of having children.
15. Consider the following two hypothetical scenarios. In Scenario 1, everyone in the economy sees their incomes increase by 10 percent. In Scenario 2, everyone in the economy sees their incomes increase by $10,000. As a result:
A. the Gini coefficient for income increases in both Scenario 1 and Scenario 2.
B. the Gini coefficient for income decreases in both Scenario 1 and Scenario 2.
C. the Gini coefficient for income stays constant in Scenario 1 but decreases in Scenario 2.
D. the Gini coefficient for income stays constant in both Scenario 1 and Scenario 2.
E. the Gini coefficient for income decreases in Scenario 1 but stays constant in
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.