The purpose of this assignment is twofold: first, to enable you to explore a term (concept, technique, place, etc.) related to this week’s theme of sustaining Earth’s biodiversity and ecosystems; second, to provide your first contribution to a collective project, the Class Sustainable Living Guide. Your work this week, and in the weeks that follow, will be gathered (along with that of your peers) into a master document you will receive a few days after the end of the course. The document will provide everyone with a variety of ideas for how we can all live more sustainably in our homes and communities.
To complete this assignment, you will
- Select a term from the list of choices in the Week 1 – Term Selection. Reply to the forum with the term that you would like to research. Do not select a term that a classmate has already chosen. No two students will be researching the same topic.
- Download the Week 1 Assignment Template and replace the guiding text with your own words based upon your online research. Please do not include a cover page. All references, however, should be cited in your work and listed at the end, following APA format expectations.
In the template, you will
- Define the term thoroughly.
- Clearly relate the term to the week’s theme.
- Explain how the term affects living things and the physical world.
- Relate the term to the challenge of achieving environmental sustainability.
- Justify if the term represents an obstacle to that goal, or perhaps a technique or technology that might promote it.
- Suggest two specific actions we can take to promote sustainability in relationship to this term.
- Provide detailed examples to support your ideas.
Please do not include a cover page, or even place your name directly on the work. In addition to submitting this assignment to Waypoint, you will also be submitting it for anonymous peer review by classmates in Week 2.
The Sustaining Biodiversity and Ecosystems assignment