The role of hr in discipline
Disciplinary action is an important process for a company to develop and implement. It is important that employees understand the rules and consequences, and for the employer to comply with the process.
For your initial post, address the following:
- Describe a time that you have first- or second-hand experience with when disciplinary action was taken in a work environment
- To your knowledge, was there an audit trail (documentation backing up the need to take action)?
- Assess whether the disciplinary process was executed appropriately. (Was it efficient? Was professional? Were emotions held under control?)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the disciplinary action. (Did the inappropriate behavior stop?)
- What does this experience demonstrate about the value of developing, implementing, and maintaining a progressive disciplinary action process?
Respond to at least two of your peers by addressing the following:
- Expand the conversation on the appropriateness and effectiveness of the disciplinary action they described and suggest ways that the process could have been improved.
- Based on the information provided, does it sound to you like the disciplinary action was fair?
- What role do you think HR should take in advising and counseling employers and employees through this process in situations like these?
To successfully complete this assignment, view the Discussion Rubric document.