Pathophysiology is the study of how a disease progresses in the body. As you can imagine, there are many disorders and diseases that can occur. The purpose of this individual project is to be introduced to these many different diseases or disorders via research. In this project, you will research and report on a specific disease or disorder. The project will span the entire duration of the course and have deliverables due in many modules, with the complete project–a 4- to 5-minute presentation with a written component–due in Module 7. Over the last few modules, you have progressed through the research of your disease. It is now time to put your work into a viewable presentation. In this module, you will turn in a rough draft of your presentation. In the next module, you will create a video of your presentation.
The disorder I have selected is Marfan Syndrome.
Marfan syndrome is an inherited disorder that affects connective tissue — the fibers that support and anchor your organs and other structures in your body. Marfan syndrome most commonly affects the heart, eyes, blood vessels, and skeleton. People with Marfan syndrome are usually tall and thin with unusually long arms, legs, fingers, and toes. The damage caused by Marfan syndrome can be mild or severe. If your aorta is affected, the condition can become life-threatening. Treatment usually includes medications to keep your blood pressure low to reduce the strain on your aorta. Regular monitoring to check for damage progression is vital. Many people with Marfan syndrome eventually require preventive surgery to repair the aorta.
- Find three additional citations that could be used for your presentation topic. Include the citations in full APA 7th edition format in the same Microsoft Word document you used in Module 2.
- Annotate each of these citations with a separate 5-sentence paragraph, including the following information:
- Description of the source and author: Are they reliable and valid? [1 sentence]
- Description of findings that may be important to your project. [2–3 sentences]
- Include the reason why you chose the source. How will it support your project? [1 sentence]
- In one short paragraph, discuss the formatting for the project and reasons for this format. This will be your project format proposal. You will be required to present your project in Module 6 with a 4-5 minute presentation; however, the format of the project is up to you. Use the Pathophysiology Project Rubric and Guide to help you figure out which format you would like to use. Here are some options:
- PowerPoint presentation
- Infographic – Example Templates (Links to an external site.)
- Topic Pamphlet or Brochure – Example Templates (in Microsoft Word) (Links to an external site.)
- Interactive Presentations – Examples (Links to an external site.)
- Choice of Your Own – Do you have another interesting way to present the information? Please discuss and include an example in your proposal.
- Please refer to the template download provided for this assignment.
PART 2 Instructions
- Include the following information in whichever format you requested in Module 4:
- Title of Presentation: Your Name and the name of your disease, and include pictures
- Etiology of disease
- Prevalence or statistics of disease: How many people have it in the U.S.? World?
- Pathophysiology of disease
- Clinical presentation of disease
- Risk factors for disease
- General assessment of disease
- General treatment for disease
- Sources: You must use at least five of the six sources that you researched in Modules 2 and 4
- Complete project using APA 7th edition guidelines, including APA in-text citations. Please look at feedback in the previous modules to make sure that your APA formatting is correct.