Forum Directions: You should make a minimum of 2 postings in total: one new thread and one thoughtful response to a classmate. (Please refer to the course syllabus supplement for forum rubric information. Your participation will be graded on a ten point. Don’t forget to include your researched reference and cite it.
Faces & Voices of Recovery is dedicated to organizing and mobilizing the over 23 million Americans in recovery from addiction to alcohol and other drugs, our families, friends, and allies into recovery community organizations and networks. The organization promotes the right and resources to recover through advocacy, education, and demonstrating the power and proof of long-term recovery.
Review the above link: Voices and Faces of Recovery Stories to help you answer the following questions.
- Propose three screening strategies for problematic substance use using evidence-based tools.
- Propose three strategies to engage patients to discuss their substance use. How might you start the conversation about their SUD? What are the main concerns you would want to address?
- Are there any values or attitudes that would come up for you as a result of hearing their story? How might you manage this “counter-transference”?
- Identify one intervention that you could use to help affirm or empower the patient? How would this help the patient engage in his or her own treatment?
In Journals #2-4, describe yourself and your environment in terms of such areas as the following:
- Ø Your reasons for choosing this substance or behavior to abstain from or acquire
- Ø Who you told about this experiment and who you look to for support
- Ø Your daily experiences and feelings
- Ø Your physical state (health, energy, sleep, nutrition)
- Ø Your psychological state (motivation, emotions, coping skills, self-esteem, thoughts, insights, confidence, self-efficacy, emotional management)
- Ø Your social life (social support, undermining, changes, friends, family,
- classmates, insights about others, reactions by others)
- Ø Your spiritual state (choices, honesty, belief systems, ethics, practices, honesty, personal value system)
- Ø Your environment (media, advertising, social mores)
- Ø What you are learning about yourself
- Ø What you are learning about your environment
- Ø What you are learning about addiction
- Ø What you are learning about behavior and attitude change