Choose one of the options below to research and explore:
Although psychological disorders are universal, there are cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic influences related to diagnosis, assessment, and treatment. Using research from academic journal articles, what ethnic, cultural, and/or socioeconomic factors may prevent individuals from minority and immigrant groups from seeking and receiving accurate treatment and diagnosis for mental disorders? Based upon your research, how may these disparities be addressed? Are there differences in what is considered “abnormal” behavior dependent upon cultural factors?
Review the different perspectives on causal factors under each of the five main current paradigms in psychopathology as presented in Chapter 2: Genetic, Neuroscience, Cognitive-Behavioral, Sociocultural, and Diathesis-Stress Model.
Choose ONE of the disorders listed below. Then, choose TWO of the paradigms listed above to compare and contrast how an individual may develop the disorder. Explain which research-based etiology you find to be the most convincing in identifying the likely elements of causation and why.
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Substance Use Related Disorders
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Anti-Social Personality Disorder (ASPD)
Checklist for Maximum Points:
- Initial post is a minimum of 600 words (not including references) and demonstrates complete comprehension and clear evaluation of the material referenced in the question
- Initial post is made by due date posted in the schedule
- Initial post references and cites three scholarly sources such as those accessed through EBSCO, PubMed or Google Scholar, one of which must come from a peer-reviewed scholarly journal article, using correct APA
- Copy of initial post is submitted to the appropriate Assignments folder to check for plagiarism