It is February 2010. Martin Kelsey must prepare a six-month production plan that “optimizes the use of manufacturing resources while meeting product quality standards and delivery schedules.” We know the following background on the company from the case study:
For cheap help with your paper, click this.
· Demand for FoldRite’s folding tables and chairs typically peaks in May, but FoldRite must increase shipments to distributors in April to meet that demand.
· The new CloudChair product has won a number of design awards and early inquiries have been very strong – but it’s still too early for confirmed sales. Kelsey does not know how much of the early interest will become actual sales.
· FoldRite experienced manufacturing problems in 2006 which had severely weakened the company financially – causing it to be sold to a group of private investors, who brought in new senior management. The 2008-2009 recession hurt the company further.
· New management mandated four major goals for the company:
· Continued innovation in both products and processes,
· Customer responsiveness: producing high quality products that fulfilled market needs, and providing quick service,
· Lean manufacturing, and
· Retention of a well-trained, stable, and productive workforce, with reduced turnover.
· The company reduced time from order receipt to shipment to a maximum of 2 weeks, and in many cases just 2 days. These helped FoldRite recapture some lost customers – both distributors and their customers, the end users, delayed orders until the last minute.
· The number of products was reduced, enabling the company to offer customization, and still often ship orders in less than a week.
Kelsey has a number of options to plan for a spike in demand in the next few months. These are detailed on pages 4-7 of the case study.
Please answer the following 4 questions based on the case study and everything we have studied to date. Each question counts for 25% of your grade.
1. The VP of Sales told Kelsey that, “manufacturing has got to meet productivity goals because this kind of opportunity might not come again for a long time.” What did he mean by that?
2. Should FoldRite use a demand-leading or demand-lagging strategy? Explain the opportunities and the risks of each approach. What choice would you make? Explain the reasons for your choice.
3. Kelsey reviewed the monthly sales forecast in Exhibit 2. Some major changes in the monthly volumes projected for CloudChair worried him. The peak volume of 4800 units in July was more than 5 times the low projected volume of 900 units/month in November and December. In 2009, the peak in actual chair demand was 3906, only 2 times the low of about 1900/month in November and December.
a. Why does this make Kelsey’s job very difficult?
b. How should he plan to meet this projected demand?
4. FoldRite is strongly dependent on outsourcing for the components in its tables and chairs. Imagine that Kelsey was also asked to recommend a long-term strategy for vertical integration vs. outsourcing of components. Kelsey used the following chart from Chapter 5 to consider his options. Recognizing that the outsourcing decision is different for different components, are there any that you might consider bringing in-house? Explain your reasoning.
More to read: Project proposal samples
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.