- Empathy is simply feeling pity for someone else.
- Sam and Denise are marriage mentors, and they both try to echo each other’s points as they mentor Daniel and Maria. According to Les and Leslie Parrott, what are they demonstrating?
Understanding each other’s strengths
Empowering each other’s voice
Influencing each other’s abilities
Embracing each other’s differences
- If you disagree with something your spouse has said to the mentoree couple, you should just let it go so you don’t model conflict to the mentoree couple.
- The authors use this Biblical duo as an example of how to have great teamwork in mentoring:
Paul and Timothy
Abraham and Sarah
Aquila and Priscilla
Mary and Joseph
- Which of the following is a task involved in building rapport?
Identifying with the couple
Both A & C
- In order to be able to identify and understand another’s emotional terrain well, you must be intimately familiar with whose emotional terrain?
- What are the two parts of empathy?
Skill and attitude
Caring and skill
Attitude and sympathy
Both A and B
- Marriage mentors are allowed to be passive about finding a sense of direction in the mentoring relationship.
- Rapport accentuates ____ and downplays _____ so that understanding and a sense of connection are increased and maintained.
- Just as Jeff and Melinda in the text, couples must have always had great teamwork skills to qualify as candidates for marriage mentoring.
- You must establish with the couple before mentoring starts how long you are committing to mentor a couple.
- Judy is expressing her frustration about her horrible day at work to her husband, Matt. Matt listens intently as his body language mirrors Judy’s. This phenomenon is called:
- The first priority of becoming an effective marriage mentor is ______.
Mastering people skills
Mastering confidentiality protocol
Mastering building rapport
All of the above
- If one of your voices is muffled in the mentoring process, true marriage mentoring disappears.
- _______ are particular words used by your mentorees that seem to be highly valued by the mentorees.
Both A and C
- _______ requires no training or skill
- _______ fades the moment your mentorees think you might be losing interest.
- All of the following are points that will help ensure teamwork as a marriage mentor couple except:
Embrace your differences
Understand your unique strengths
Empower each other’s voice
Support each other’s advice
- “It doesn’t matter how accurate you are if you are aiming at the wrong target.” This quote from the text refers to which concept in marriage mentoring?
Always try to get two birds with one stone
Be sure your couple’s goals are in tune with Biblical understanding
Always choose the couple’s goals for them to make sure they are Godly
Be sure your goal for mentoring a couple is not selfish
- Knowing your objectives for couple’s mentoring provides all of the following except:
Sense of comfort
- As a couple, you and your spouse must have worked through an area of differing opinions before you bring up that topic in conversation with your mentoree couple.
- According to the authors, all of the following are essential to our survival as humans:
All of the above
- Another important word for delayed gratification is ______.
- In marriage mentoring, remembering the big picture only sometimes makes the smaller goals more attainable.
- What are the three factors necessary to assuring you have established a deep level of credibility?
Dependability, Ability, and Opportunity
Opportunity, Trustworthiness, and Consistency
Ability, Credibility, and Opportunity
Dependability, Opportunity, and Loyalty
- How well one empathizes determines how well one _____.
None of the above
- The idea of a __________ is presented to couples to help them identify what they want different in their marriage and what they would like to work towards in mentoring.
Genie in a Lamp
Holy Spirit Dove
- According to the text, which is not a minimal suggestion for setting mentoring outcomes?
Topics to be covered
How to measure progress
How often to meet
Expectations of mentoring
- David and Karen are mentoring Jenna and Caleb. They noticed that Jenna and Caleb use the phrase, “hang up” a lot, so they use this phrase frequently when mentoring them. This is an example of:
Relating with them
Identifying with them
- Credibility is the quality of being _____________.