Assignment: You have recently been elected as a Republican to the Texas Senate from a competitive district (even number of Democrats, Republicans and Independents) just outside of Dallas. One of the first bills that you must vote on is Senate Bill 3- a Bill to forbid the creation of sanctuary cities (protecting undocumented immigrants from deportation). Your constituents support the bill as does the Governor your party, but you oppose it on grounds that most undocumented Texans are hardworking people who want to become legal citizens. The Speaker of the House opposes the bill as well.
In explaining how you will vote on the bill, be sure to explain the following:
- What Representational Role you will adopt (trustee, delegate or politico). (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-25). Be sure to discuss all three representational roles.
- How will the Speaker of the House, the Lt. Governor and Governor of Texas influence the fate of the bill? (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slides 4-9, 4-10, 4-18 & 4-22 )
- How do you think constituents might try to influence your vote? (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-20)
- Which factors noted above and in your notes (constituents, governor, party leaders and your own opinion) will influence your vote? Rank them in importance. (Unit 4, Written Lectures, Slide 4-20, 4-21)
- Will you vote for or against the bill? Please explain your answer thoroughly. You should refer back to the representational role here. (Unit 4 Written Lectures, Slide 4-25)
The paper should include subject headers (ie. Representational Roles, Influence of Legislative Leaders, etc.)
Paper must be double spaced, with 12 point font and include section headers for each of the paper sections noted below (Three Representational Roles and Role You Choose, Influence of Legislative Leaders, Rank and Explain Influences of Institutional Factors, and Explain Your Vote)