Week 4 Discussion
No unread replies.No replies.
Welcome to Week 4
This week we will explore intellectual property. Most people do not know what intellectual property is, yet it is extremely important. Intellectual property is not specific to large corporations. Rather, individuals can also generate intellectual property. We also explore challenges of new technologies and how they affect copyright laws.
Pick a topic below and post your reply by Wednesday at midnight. Your response should be at least 400 words and appropriately cites your resources.
Respond to two of your classmates by Sunday at midnight. Your responses should be at least 200 words and should be substantive. You should offer additional resources, insight, or other helpful feedback. A simple “I like your post” will result in a 0.
You will not be able to see your classmates’ posts until you make your first post.
Note: plagiarism is not tolerated in this course. Everything must be in your own words with sources! Failure to do so will result in failing grade.
- What is intellectual property? Give at least 5 examples.
- How does new technology challenge how intellectual property is protected?
- How is intellectual property like physical property? How is it different?
- Do you agree with the idea that someone can “own” intellectual property?
- What do you think the impact would be on creative industries, such as music, movies and fiction novels, if copyright laws did not protect intellectual property?