In this assignment, you will explore the cultural context of a global health problem and consider how the structure of a health care system affects the way the problem is addressed.
Step 1: Identify a global health problem.
Choose ONE health problem that affects people around the world, and that is impacted by cultural practices. Find reliable statistics that support the global nature of this problem.
Step 2: Gather data.
Find scholarly sources, research and gather global data about the health problem you have identified. For example, the World Health Organization posts disease and health risk prevalence data on a country-by-country basis. Searching websites of humanitarian organizations such as Doctors Without Borders, Operation Smile, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation can provide additional context about the health problem.
Step 3: Create the slide presentation.
Address the following points in your 10-12 slide presentation:
Nursing perspectives of the problem
- Describe the global impact of the health problem. Example topics could be comparing the impact across populations, communicable disease spread, environmental impacts
- Describe the ways culture influences the risk factors, treatment and/or prognosis of the problem. Examples can be language barriers, food preparation, folk medicine usage etc. You may connect to one culture or multiple cultures in answering this prompt
- Identify one or two cultural care strategies that nurses could use to improve the health problem
Health care system impact on the problem
- Consider how the structure of a health care system affects the way the problem is addressed
- Consider how the structure of a health care system affects the way the problem is addressed. Compare at least two countries with different health care systems- for example, you may discuss access to care, diagnostic and treatment options, public policies and economic considerations such as costs to the patient
- Discuss any differences in health outcome statistics for the health problem between the two countries. Is there any evidence for why these differences or lack of differences occur?
Be sure to use statistics to substantiate the health problem. Make sure that you use APA format to properly cite any sources.
Step 4: Add presenter’s notes.
Include talking points and details in the notes area for each slide. These notes should document what you would say to an audience about each slide if you were to present in person.