Please read the instruction carefully, if you need any resources from the course book please let me know.
Case 3 Report Instructions
CASE 3: Larry Puglia and the T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Fund
Set in 2016, the case recounts the remarkable performance record of the T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth Fund (Blue Chip Growth Fund), a mutual fund managed by Larry Puglia at T. Rowe Price, Inc. The case describes the investment style of Puglia, whose record with the fund over its 23-year history had on average beaten the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index. The tasks for the student are to assess the performance of the fund, consider the sources of that success, and decide on the sustainability of Puglia’s performance. Consistent with the introductory nature of this case, the analysis requires no numerical calculations.
This case provides a nontechnical introduction to the U.S. equity markets and sets the foundation for some basic concepts in finance. The following are the specific teaching objectives:
· Motivate a discussion of the concept of capital-market efficiency
· Impart some recent capital-market history—in particular, regarding the market crash of 1987, the Internet bubble of the late 1990s and early years of the 2000s, and the credit crisis/recession of 2007–09
· Convey a perspective on the role of large institutions in setting the price of securities
· Introduce the basic concept of value additivity. As illustrated by the net asset valuation of mutual funds, the value of a firm will be equal to the sum of the value of its parts
Case Report Instructions
This is a “Use a set of provided questions to prepare a formal case report” assignment. For this case study, you must write a professional report as per the guidelines in “Learning with Cases and Writing Case Reports.” You should create an action-oriented advisory report that presents concisely your analysis and recommendations. The questions below should help you analyze the case and identify the specific issue(s) raised. These are not questions that you should directly answer in your report; instead these questions are designed to help you frame your report with specific focus on the last question: “Would you recommend investing in Puglia’s Blue Chip Growth Fund?”
1. How well has the Blue Chip Growth Fund performed in recent years? In making that assessment, what benchmark(s) are you using? How do you measure investment performance? What does good performance mean to you?
2. What might explain the fund’s performance? To what extent do you believe an investment strategy, such as Puglia’s, explains performance?
3. How easy will it be to sustain Puglia’s historical performance record into the future? What factors support your conclusion?
4. Consider the mutual-fund industry. What roles do portfolio managers play? What are the differences between fundamental and technical securities analysis? How well do mutual funds generally perform relative to the overall market?
5. What is capital-market efficiency? What are its implications for investment performance in general? What are the implications for fund managers, if the market exhibits characteristics of strong, semistrong, or weak efficiency?
6. Suppose that you are an advisor to wealthy individuals in the area of equity investments. In 2016, would you recommend investing in Puglia’s Blue Chip Growth Fund? What beliefs about the equity markets does your answer reflect?
NOTE: You can access a student spreadsheet file that you might find helpful for this case on the textbook website found at the following link:
This directory contains Excel spreadsheet files with the primary exhibits for this case. Some of the Excel tables exercisable models which will allow you to test ideas with minimum setup time.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.