Exam: 412760RR Profit-Sharing and Similar Plans
1. James earns $80,000 per year. What is the limit on his deductible contributions if he has a simplified employee pension?
2. What is one reason that companies often allow new employees to immediately participate in profit sharing plans?
A. The administration of a profit-sharing plan is much easier than that of other pension plans.
B. Profit-sharing plans have no upper or lower age limits.
C. Profit-sharing plans have no vesting provisions to deal with.
D. Companies are required by law to provide this opportunity for new employees.
3. The Carbon Company makes allocations to employee accounts that meet the nondiscrimination requirements; the total employer contributions are $10,000. The average salary of all employees is $67,000. If Laverne’s salary is $69,000, how much, rounded up to the nearest dollar, would be allocated to her?
4. Tamara would like to start saving some of her salary so that it won’t be taxed. She has decided to save $9,000 annually, but she would also like to have the freedom to withdraw her money if she needs it. If you were her employee benefit specialist, which one of the following plans would you recommend that she research?
5. You’re advising an employee about your company’s 401(k) plan and how it will benefit him. You explain that employees can put money into their accounts prior to paying taxes and choose the amount they would like to save. What other advantage does a 401(k) have for employees?
A. It can be fully funded by salary reduction by employees.
B. It reduces unemployment.
C. It provides access to their money if needed during employment.
D. It has lower contribution limits.
6. Which one of the following statements about retirement plans is correct?
A. Retirement plans are typically designed with liberal eligibility and vesting rights.
B. A waiting period to enter a plan cannot exceed 6 months.
C. The more flexible the plan, the higher the administrative cost.
D. Retirement plans are considered a benefit only to those employees who are within 10 years of retirement.
7. Kim has decided to buy a condo so that she can rent it to tenants. She decides to take a loan from her qualified retirement plan for the down payment and closing costs. How much time does she have to repay this loan?
A. She must repay the loan before retirement or termination.
B. She must repay one-half the loan within one year.
C. There’s no set amount of time during which she must repay the loan.
D. She must repay the loan within five years.
8. What aspect of a 401(k) plan makes it different from a profit-sharing plan?
A. Companies are required by law to provide this opportunity for new employees.
B. Employees get to choose which stock to invest in.
C. Employers acquire a higher cash flow because of the insurgence of employer stock purchases.
D. Employees decide how much of their compensation is deferred.
9. Which one of the following statements is true of 401(k) retirement plans?
A. Integration of a 401(k) plan with Social Security is easily managed.
B. Because a 401(k) plan is a qualified plan, its administration is simple and uncomplicated.
C. A 401(k) plan permits higher contribution levels than IRAs.
D. Even though a 401(k) plan is funded entirely on the basis of employee salary deferrals, the employer enjoys no tax advantages from this fact.
10. Under regulations, a stock bonus plan is a qualified-contribution plan similar to a profit-sharing plan.
What, however, makes a stock bonus plan different from a qualified-contribution plan?
A. The plan contribution formula is based on employee compensation.
B. Employees can also contribute to after-tax savings.
C. Employers’ contributions may be made in cash.
D. Dividends can’t be re-invested to increase the participants’ accounts.
11. Sam isn’t quite sure what he wants to do with his retirement savings, but he wants to make sure he has the flexibility to manage his funds in numerous different ways. What type of distribution would be best for Sam?
A. Life annuity with period certain
B. Straight-life annuity
C. Delayed benefit payment
D. Lump-sum option
12. When employer stock is used in qualified plans, which one of the following situations is a win-win situation for both the employer and the employee?
A. The price of the stock is always at a discount rate.
B. A market can be created for employer stock.
C. Employees receive an ownership interest in the company.
D. The employer can obtain a deduction for noncash contributions to the plan.
13. The Marx company makes allocations to employee accounts that meet the nondiscrimination requirements; the total employer contributions are $10,000. The average salary of all employees is $67,000. If Jamar’s salary is $58,000, how much, rounded up to the nearest dollar, would be allocated to him?
A. $28, 285
14. Lassitude, Inc., a new and rapidly growing company, doesn’t have a qualified plan. However, the company would like to provide a salary savings plan for its employees in order to retain its current and new employees. Assuming that Lassitude decides to implement a SIMPLE, which one of the following statements is true?
A. Lassitude, Inc. has 100 or fewer employees.
B. An independent contractor would have to be hired to deal with the complicated paperwork involved.
C. Lassitude management will have to disclose to its employees that their savings won’t be portable.
D. Lassitude employees can rest assured that their savings will provide adequate retirement benefits.
15. Karl’s annual salary is $90,000. Last year, he contributed $2,000 to his deferral plan. What is his actual deferral percentage?
16. Which one of the following statements is true regarding Section 457 plans?
A. Section 457 plans have the advantage of being qualified plans.
B. Section 457 plans were designed by Congress primarily to be flexible and generous.
C. Section 457 plans and 401(k) plans are the only two types of plans available to government agencies.
D. Such plans are the only viable alternative for government agencies wishing to offer employees a salary savings plan.
17. Suppose a plan has an integration level of $100,000, and that it provides 5 percent of compensation below the integration level and 10 percent of compensation above the integration level. Using the integrated money-purchase formula, determine the employer’s contribution for an employee who earns $110,000.
18. Which one of the following employers would be eligible to adopt a SIMPLE?
A. Any nonprofit employer who does not maintain a 403(b) plan
B. An electrical contractor with 120 employees
C. A company that maintains an SEP for its employees
D. A community center that maintains a 403(b) for its employees
19. With respect to plan distribution, if an employee receives stock that’s not traded on an established market, the plan participant has the right to require that the employer re-purchase the stock under a fair valuation formula. This kind of specification is called a
A. plan restitution.
B. plan reimbursement.
C. put order.
D. put requirement.
20. An active participant restriction does not apply to a/an
A. Section 403(b) plan.
B. simplified employee pension.
C. local government plan.
D. Section 401(k) plan
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.