ID: Six Sigma and Lean (CO
Make your original post by Thursday and follow up comments by Sunday.
Make an original substantive post on the following topic:
What are the similarities and differences between Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma. Do research on work situations in which one methodology is more appropriate than the other. You can also debate the pros and cons of each method.
Research a bit on the topic and share your thoughts.
Describe your invention idea completely using the outline below:
- General Purpose –
- State in general terms the purpose and the object of the invention (100 words minimum)
- Background –
- Describe the prior art (patents already exist that affect your own invention idea; identify by patent number or journal citation) and indicate how the invention differs and is more advantageous than prior art. Note: if sufficient research is not completed then points will be lost. Almost all invention ideas are affected by some previously existing patent. Some recommended locations to look are:
- Description and Operation –
- Describe completely (sufficient to permit the preparation of a patent application) the construction of the invention using reference characters to identify components of attached illustrations. Give a description of one complete operational cycle. If the invention relates to the synthesis or identification of a new composition of matter, describe the product in a structured form, if possible, and the process for making it. Include all the available information regarding its physical characteristics and all test data evidencing its utility.
- Non-Technical Description –
- Describe (in 300 words or less) the invention in terms understandable to non-scientists.
- Sketches, Prints, Photos, and any pertinent manuscripts –
- Include Sketches, prints, photos, and any pertinent manuscripts
Note: The above questions are actually a slice of those found in the Report of Inventions and Certification Made by Employees of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. You only need to complete the above questions but I wanted to point out these are used in an actual governmental setting.
The chapter discusses Six Sigma. Review the sample American Society for Quality Six Sigma Green Belt certification exam (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Do you feel an exam such as this can adequately assess a person’s knowledge and skills? Why or why not?
- What other methods of assessment might be used?
- If you were a supervisor, how credible would you see a certification such as this?
Write a two page assessment using APA writing style and a minimum of two sources.
Build your own simple circuit and identify its parts. To obtain credit for this assignment the picture must have a visual of you in it holding or demonstrating your creation.
You many find resources such as below useful although we also recommend using a basic Internet search to find basic instructions and descriptions:
The chapter discusses computer-aided design and its role in manufacturing; In some ways it is changing how we communicate about our needs or expectations. Modeling and prototyping is becoming increasingly important.
Google SketchUp (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. is a free 3D modeling software that can be used to create a simple 3D object.
- Obtain this software and make a simple 3D model of a table or some other simple item.
Video tutorials and other training resources can be found at:
You work for an earthquake damage assessment and repair company that deals primarily with buildings, bridges, and infrastructure. Your company decides it would like to create a virtual reality room where employees and customers can have an immersive experience intended to simulate what it might be like to experience an actual seismic event.
Based on what you have learned in chapter nine, diagram and explain what you would recommend. Next, explain some of the science and technology principles necessary for this to succeed.