Conflict management in human services
Conflict in the workplace is inevitable, whether dealing with an internal conflict within yourself or an external conflict with others. Understanding your natural response to conflict will help you build your conflict response repertoire and perform more effectively in leadership roles, resulting in improved outcomes for service users.
For this Assignment, you assess your conflict management style, the degree to which your style would be effective for resolving conflicts in human services settings, and what you can do to turn your limitations in this area into strengths.
- Review the Learning Resources on conflict management. Consider the strengths and limitations of different conflict management styles.
- Complete the Conflict Management Style Orientation Scale, and review your results.
- Go to the Hart City virtual community using the link that is provided in the Learning Resources. Once you are in the community, visit the Hart City Community Center and view the scenario about Stacey. Then, visit Tommy’s House Residential Group Home and view the scenario about James. Given your conflict management style, consider how you would resolve the conflicts in both scenarios and whether your style would be effective.
- Reflect on how you would address the limitations associated with your conflict management style to improve your ability to lead and collaborate in human services settings.
Submit a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Briefly describe your conflict management style.
- Based on this style, explain how you would resolve the conflict in each of the Hart City scenarios. Be specific.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your conflict management style for resolving the conflicts in each scenario and other conflicts that may occur in human services settings. Be sure to include both the strengths and limitations of your style.
- Explain how your limitations might hinder your ability to lead and collaborate, and what you would do to turn your limitations in strengths.
There are two Hart city scenarios included (Stacy and James).