Prior to beginning work on this assignment, you must download and use the Career Planning Guide downloadtemplate to complete this assignment. Do not write a separate paper. This document serves as a guide as well as the template that you will submit for this assignment.
Career planning is an important step in your education as it allows you to consider your current skills and knowledge level. You then use that information to determine where you want to be in 10 years and what steps you must take to reach your goals. This assignment will help you explore your current strengths and weaknesses. It also allows you to consider the areas where there are opportunities and threats—in this case, potential roadblocks, in reaching your professional goals.
You will note in the document that the order of planning is a reflection on your current skills and knowledge first, then the 10-year goals, and then the 5-year goals. The purpose for this order is for you to determine where you are right now and where you want to be in 10 years. The 5-year goals are what you need to identify as steps towards reaching the 10-year goals.
To complete the Career Planning assignment,
- Conduct a job market research by visiting one or more of the following online job boards.
- Analyze a job listing.
- Identify the level of the position.
- Describe what the job entails.
- Determine if you meet the listed job qualifications.
- Assess where you are in your career today.
- Assess where you want to be in your career in 10 years.
- Assess where you want to be in your career in 5 years. List the action items or experiences that will lead you to your ultimate career goal.