Write a short research paper on a career of interest. You need to do actual research on your chosen career, using and citing legitimate sources. You may also interview someone as part of the paper. Be sure to include the following:
- Job Duties. What does the job entail? What responsibilities would you have? Which responsibilities would you like or dislike?
- Personal Characteristics and Skills Needed. What important personal characteristics do you think would be needed to be happy and successful in this occupation? Why does this career fit your personality? What personal values does this career provide that are important to you? (Examples: security, having fun, status, helping others, challenging…) What are some important skills your career requires?
- Education Needed. What are the educational requirements of the job? What specific classes and activities would be most helpful in preparing for this career? What is the potential total cost of training for this career?
- Work Setting. How many hours would you generally work? What would your work environment be? Would you travel? Would your job be stressful? What would you like or dislike about the work setting?
- Wages and Benefits. How much would a worker in this occupation generally start at? What is the range of wages that an experienced worker can earn? Will this occupation provide enough income for you to live as you plan? Does education make a difference in salary?
- Employment Outlook. What is the occupational outlook for this career? Will I be able to pay back expenses for required education?
- Personal Assessment. Explain why you think this occupation would be right for you. How does it fit your personality, interests, values, educational plans?
I know your most important question: How long does this need to be? Here’s my answer: As long as it needs to. I’m looking for your depth and quality of attention to the two topics posed. That said, I’d think at least four double-spaced pages would be a fair minimum here. More are welcome.