DEP 2004 Life Cycle
Osteoporosis Homework Assignment
I always try to connect our course to whatever I am doing or observing on a daily basis, and one thing I enjoy is watching skilled athletes perform in almost any sport. Many athletes suffer bone fractures (sometimes severe) and yet they go on to impressive performances, often with just a few months of recovery time. What does it take to have strong bones that can recover fully and quickly from fractures? In the Physical Development module, I have posted a New York Times Personal Health article about osteoporosis, and how different athletic activities impact the likelihood of osteoporosis and bone problems. For this homework assignment, I want you to read the article and evaluate your lifestyle as it applies to risk of osteoporosis. Specifically:
Part 1: Diet. As you will read in the article, a diet rich in calcium is essential for good bone health. Do you eat a bone-healthy diet? For this part of the assignment:
· List everything you eat in one typical 24-hour period, then look up the calcium content for each food. The article provides a link to an online calculator of calcium content in a variety of foods. There are many other online calculators as well, and between them you should be able to find most of the foods you eat (hint – if you can’t find a food listed anywhere, it probably doesn’t have much calcium in it). To find other online calculators, simply type “calcium content in foods” in Google, and you’ll see several of them, including one for vegan diets. You might also find calcium content on the Nutrition Facts label of processed foods, although this will be listed in % of Daily Values, requiring you to do a little bit of arithmetic. List each food you consume, how much, and how much calcium (in milligrams) you got from each food. For example, your list might start with:
2 slices whole wheat toast – 60 mg.
1 tablespoon butter – 17 mg (this took a lot of digging to find, which I thought was strange because butter is a dairy product)
1 tablespoon grape jelly – 15 mg (also took some digging, then I remembered to just look on the jar)
vente Starbucks nonfat latte – 40 mg. (I am assuming 1 oz of skim milk in my latte)
As you can see, you’ll need to do some detective work, and some estimating, but give it your best shot.
· Add up all the calcium you consumed that day, and discuss how you are doing toward the recommended calcium intake for your gender and age. If you are well below where you should be, what can you realistically do to improve your calcium intake, and hence your bone health? Don’t worry about showing me that you eat a lousy diet – I’ve seen it all, including someone who ate nothing but Cheetos and Red Bull for a 24 hour period. But try to select a typical day for you – you’ll learn more about your bone health if you take this assignment seriously.
Part 2: Exercise. For the same typical day that you analyzed your diet, also analyze your physical activities.
· There are no calculations similar to what you do for calcium intake, but list your activity during a typical week and discuss it in terms of amount of time spent in each activity, amount of time doing impact activity (in which your bones are resisting gravity with pressure and hence producing bone) the extent to which your activity is continuous versus starting and stopping (as you will read in the article), and any other aspects of your physical activity that are relevant to the building of strong bones.
· Add up all the activity you do in a typical week (minutes), and discuss how you are doing toward the recommended physical activity recommendations for your gender and age.
· Discuss your physical activity in terms of how it may impact your bone health
*If you do not exercise in a typical week, that is ok. Discuss 1) How much is recommended for your gender and age, and 2) How incorporating certain activities into your daily routine might affect your bone health based on the article you read.
When you are finished listing and discussing the two sections (diet and physical activity), submit your written report through the submit button.
I don’t have an expectation on word count or page count. You should have a few sentences per discussion point, plus the lists. Write however much it takes to complete the assignment satisfactorily.
I hope you enjoy this assignment!
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.