Astronomy discussion 4 & homework | introduction to astronomy | Columbia College Chicago
Topic should be addressed in sufficient detail to fully describe the properties of the concepts involved and should be at least three paragraphs with four (4) to five (5) sentences each. The posting should be in your own words with a minimal use of quotes.
Suppose it was discovered that the asteroid Hermes had been perturbed in such a way as to put it on a collision course with Earth. Describe what you would do to counter such a catastrophe using present technology.
To the greatest possible extent, answers should be in your own words and should demonstrate an understanding of the concepts involved. (More than just a glossary definition of the terminology is expected).
1. Describe at least four of the major characteristics common to all of the Jovian planets.
2. Describe the structure of a comet, and the matter from which it is made.
3. What is the Greenhouse Effect? What role does it play in the atmospheres of Venus and Earth?
4. Why are volcanoes on Mars taller than those on Earth?
5. What and where is the Kuiper Belt, and how is it related to debris left over from the formation of the Solar System?