Assignment3091720 | Psychology homework help
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
Cervone, D., & Pervin, L. A. (2019). Personality: Theory and research (14th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Chapter 5, “A Phenomenological Theory: Carl Rogers’s Person-Centered Theory of Personality” (pp. 127-146)
Chapter 6, “Rogers’s Phenomenological Theory: Applications, Related Theoretical Conceptions, and Contemporary Research” (pp. 147-179)Review these chapters of the text to support your Discussion post and Assignment in Week 3. Also note that the Week 3 Test for Understanding is based on the material in these chapters.
Read this article on Rogers’ influence on the practice of therapy to expand your understanding of his ideas and contributions to the field of psychology.
These websites profile the two humanistic theorists featured this week. Access and read each profile to prepare for your Assignment in Week 3. The profile of Rogers can also support your Week 3 Discussion post.
Note: You used this web profile in Week 2 for information on Freud. Review it again to support your Week 3 Discussion post.
Seidman, G. (2015, July 2). Close encounters: What can you learn about people from Facebook? [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/close-encounters/201507/what-can-you-learn-about-people-facebook
Read this online blog from the publication Psychology Today to help support your Discussion post in Week 3.
TED (Producer). (2010). Chip Conley: Measuring what makes life worthwhile [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.ted.com/talks/chip_conley_measuring_what_makes_life_worthwhile.html (17:40)
Chip Conley, hotel founder and author, reflects on Maslow’s theories and explains his own interpretation. View the presentation to support your Week 3 Assignment.
Qiu, L., Lu, J., Yang, S., Qu, W., & Zhu, T. (2015). What does your selfie say about you? Computers in Human Behavior, 52, 443–449. Retrieved from http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/linqiu/publications/selfie.pdf
Slaughter, S. (2015, December 12). Text me? Ping me? Communications overload in the digital age. The New York Times. Retrieved from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/style/text-me-ping-me-communications-overload-in-the-digital-age.html?_r=0
Note: Although not required reading, you may choose to use one or both articles to help prepare your Discussion post.
Assignment: Analyzing Humanistic Theories
Think about words that relate to the term humanistic. There is human, of course. There are also humanity and humane. Consider how these words offer powerful clues to what humanistic theories explore and the views of people and personality they present.
From your work in Week 2 and the information you have gained in this week’s studies, you should know there are profound differences between psychoanalytic theories that perceive people as driven by internal conflicts and humanistic theories that see people in a different—and kinder—light. Yet how do humanistic theories help us understand human behavior and what it means to be human—in mind, body, and spirit? In this Assignment, you will analyze the contributions of humanistic theories and the two humanists you have studied, Carl Rogers and Abraham Maslow. You will also consider whether and how those theories align with your own thinking about people, particularly in terms of how individuals such as Katherine from the Case Study achieve their potential, and think about how you might apply humanistic theories to this case study.
- Review the information on Rogers and Maslow in this week’s Learning Resources, including the media selection, Measuring What Makes Life Worthwhile.
- Read the Carl Rogers Case Study about Katherine
- Consider key contributions by both Rogers and Maslow to humanistic theory.
- Reflect on your ideas about achieving one’s potential and what represents success to you, including how the culture in which you were raised influenced your ideas and any changes in your present thinking.
- Consider the theorist, Rogers or Maslow, whose ideas are closest to your own.
- Consider the role of humanistic theories in guiding your interactions with others, both personally and in your future profession.
By Day 7
Submit a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Analyze the most important contributions to humanistic theory by Maslow and Rogers and explain your reasoning.
- Analyze your own process of self-actualization (i.e., achieving personal potential) and comment on how your ideas about your potential have developed over time. In your answer, explain the concept of success in the culture in which you were raised and discuss whether your own concept of success aligns with that culture and what has influenced any shifts you have made.
- Using the case example of Katherine, describe how you could use humanistic theories and concepts to explain Katherine’s personality development and behavior. Be specific in the concepts you choose and apply them to specific aspects of Katherine’s case.
Note: Support the responses within your Assignment with evidence from the assigned Learning Resources. Provide a reference list for resources you used for this Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK3Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 3 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 3 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK3Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 3 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 3 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
To submit your Assignment:
Week 3 Assignment