The Industrial Revolution
• What was it?
• How did it affect design?
• Who were some of the early designers who used industry to better their products?
• Why was steam technology important?
• What was the purpose of this exhibition?
• Who were some of the organizers?
• What was the building like? Why was itimportant?
• How did the idea of “Empire” manifest itself at the exhibition?
• What was displayed there? Did everyone approve ofit?
• What are some of the styles that inspired American designers in the 19th century? Would you say that this was a homogenous style or one that relied on many influences?
• Be prepared to name some of the different design movements (Renaissance Revival, etc.).
• How did some designers react to the exhibits at the Crystal Palace?
• What were some of the ways that design reformers demonstrated their opposition to the machine produced goods on display?
• Why did Ruskin and Pugin advocate the Gothic as a period to emulate?
• How did William Morris put some of Ruskin’s ideas into practice in his own work?
• What were some of the design inspirations for Art Nouveau?
• Why was the poster so important at this time? What were some of the innovations in printing?
• Consider the role of women and plant imagery in Art Nouveau design
• What were some of the influences and projects of Margaret Macdonald and Charles Mackintosh?
• What was the philosophy of the BH?
• What was the difference between the school in Weimar and the school in Dessau?
• Were these differences always clear in the designs?
• Who were some of the notable designers from the school?
• What was the Frankfurt kitchen and why is it important?
• What was the big exhibition of Art Deco and why is it important? (Art Deco continued…)
• How does the idea of the exotic influence art deco design?
• Was this an exclusive style?
• Queen Victoria
• The Great Exhibition of 1851
• Joseph Paxton
• Henry Cole
• “False Principles”
• The Indian Court
• The Medieval Court
• The Basic American periods— neoclassical, gothic revival, rococo revival
• Charles Rennie Mackintosh
• Margaret MacDonald
• Art Nouveau—the new art
• Walter Gropius
• Art and industry a new unity!
• Art and technology a new unity!
• Bauhaus Weimar
• Bauhaus Dessau
• Economy of form/economy of materials
• Design Reformers:
• AWN Pugin
• John Ruskin—The Nature of the Gothic
• William Morris
• Arts and Crafts
1. Throughout the 19th Century, and into the 20th Century, designers, critics, and tastemakers, ranging from AWN Pugin, to John Ruskin, to William Morris to Walter Gropius, have looked to the Middle Ages as a source of inspiration. Using at least four examples, please discuss.
2. Discuss the role of industrialization in the development of 19th and 20th Century design. What were the effects on labor practices, industrial design, efficiency, ornament, etc. Please use at least four examples.
3. Using at least four examples, please highlight the differences between the Weimar and the Dessau Bauhaus.
4. Discuss the life and work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. What were some his philosophies, ideas, projects? Please use at least fourexamples.
5. Using at least four examples, discuss the influences of “the exotic” on Art Deco.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.