Psychologists often use psychological tests and other measures when conducting research. These measures come in a variety of forms, such as self-report questionnaires, interviews, and observational checklists. When carefully selected, measures enable researchers to make valid, reliable observations about behaviors and other variables of interest. However, when researchers use inappropriate measures, this can lead to inaccurate assessments of behavior and inappropriate decision-making. This puts the validity of the research study at risk. The problem is that there are so many options available when it comes to psychological measures. Researchers must carefully evaluate the qualitative and quantitative evidence available about the measure to ensure it is the best fit for the research context.
For this Assignment, you will write a 4-6 page paper about choosing measures for psychological research. You will also identify and summarize a psychological measure that researchers in your specialization use when conducting research.
Be sure to address the following:
Part 1. Discuss the validity and reliability factors researchers should consider when choosing a measure.
- Differentiate between psychological measures with evidence of high validity and reliability versus low validity and reliability.
- Examine test-retest reliability, parallel-forms reliability, and split-half reliability.
- Analyze what it means for scores on a psychological measure to be accurate.
- Examine each of the following forms of validity: face, content, criterion-related, and construct validity.
- Discuss three or more ethical considerations that relate to choosing a psychological measure.
Part 2. Identify and Describe a Psychological Measure
- Describe a psychological measure that researchers use in your specialization area.
- Describe the construct it measures.
- Describe the format of the measure.
- Examine strengths and limitations of the measure, given the qualitative and quantitative evidence available.
- Explore one way you could use this measure in a research setting.
The Assignment should:
- Utilize a minimum of three peer-reviewed sources outside of your textbook to support your paper.
- Follow Assignment directions (review grading rubric for best results).
- Use correct APA formatting per the current APA Publication Manual.
- Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
- Be written in Standard English and be clear, specific, and error-free.
Your paper should include:
- Title Page
- Main Body of the paper
- Reference Page
- 4-6 Pages in length
Submitting your Assignment
Put your Assignment in a Word document. Save it in a location that you will remember and with your full name along with the class number. When you are ready to submit it to the unit Dropbox. You should revisit the Dropbox to view any helpful feedback your instructor has left for you.