This week, we learned about the foundations of criminal procedure, some remedies available to criminal defendants, as well as the concepts of probable cause and reasonable suspicion. For your Unit 1 Complete assignment, write a narrative essay (minimum 1200 words) in which you address and discuss the questions and statements listed below. Use at least three scholarly sources and remember to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the READ and ATTEND sections in your essay. Cite your sources in APA format.
- Summarize the constitutional basis for criminal procedure.
- Explain the exclusionary rule and the exceptions to it. Likewise, summarize the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine and the exceptions to it.
- Explain the defense of qualified immunity.
- What is reasonable suspicion and when is it used?
- Define probable cause and identify several sources of information that a police officer can rely on to make the probable cause determination
- Are the remedies introduced in this Unit sufficient to deter police misconduct? Why or why not? What other remedy, if any, would you propose?